It’s one thing to talk about open and honest government — another thing to walk the walk.
Ed Gillespie opened with the invitation to do 10 debates, and 10 debates it shall be — from the Gillespie campaign:
“There are big differences between how Lieutenant Governor Northam and I will approach the serious challenges facing our Commonwealth, and these debates will ensure the voters know them,” said Gillespie. “I appreciate the hard work of the event’s organizers and volunteers, and I hope Lieutenant Governor Northam will make the time in his schedule to join me at these debates.”
Gillespie has accepted the following debate invitations:
1. Virginia Bar Association Debate
2. WRIC-TV, WAVY-TV, WHAG-TV, and WFXR-TV Debate
3. Governor Doug Wilder Debate
4. The Center for Rural Virginia Debate
5. UVA Batten School and Southwest Virginia Technology Council Debate at UVA-Wise
6. Hampton Roads Chamber of Commerce Debate
7. Northern Virginia Chamber of Commerce Debate
8. Virginia Tech and WDBJ-TV Debate
9. Radio One & Miss Community Clovia Debate
10. Liberty University Debate
UVA Batten? Liberty University? Doug Wilder?
Frankly, one has a really difficult time seeing Ralph Northam declining any of these debates. We’re about to get our very own version of Lincoln-Douglas in Virginia, and not a moment too soon.